Monday, June 22, 2009

Pictures and the name myklia

So I took a bunch of pictures and then edited them to be internet friendly. One day later I decide to upload them to my Photobucket so I can blog about them. A lot of frog pictures and pictures of the new campground at Harrington Beach State Park. Now it seems the edited pictures have disappeared so I have to redo it. You have no idea how much I hate that process. *sigh* I hope to get them up some time this week.

In the meantime I thought I would give you the story behind the name "myklia". I have always loved unique names and have always wanted to create one. Time and time again I would find whatever name I created already existed. Then I created (or so I thought I did) the name myklia. At the time (somewhere around 1994 to 1996, don't remember exactly) I did not find that the name existed. I thought I finally stumbled onto something. This name has been true and loyal to me for years.

One time though an internet friend in Toronto said that they saw my name on a license plate. This is not someone who would lie to me or play a joke on me and I thought that maybe they got the name from me using it on the web.

Fast forward several years later and I now see on the internet someone that goes by "Myklia G". From what very very little I can learn about her, I suspect it is her real name and she has probably had before I "created" it. I think it could be fun to talk to her and learn how she got the name. Myklia G, if you are out there reading this, feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Sorry if I accidentally stepped on your name.

There is another name I have gone by and that is "Anika". When I started to DJ at WMSE in Milwaukee I went by the DJ name "Jeanette Rose", my real first and middle name. I didn't want to use my last name because there can be some creepy male (and occasionally female) listeners. I was on early Sunday morning.

There was this druggie who called the DJs before me and me all the time. He would always talk about what drugs he was on and what he had been up to in the week which could involve arrest or rehab. One time he was saying where he lived and it was only a couple of blocks from the station. I was a little freaked out. I thought that this guy is so drugged out that if I change my DJ name he won't realize it is the same DJ, but think a new DJ came on the air. Didn't work though. Fortunately he never tried to find me or meet me. When I was looking for a new name I looked at baby name books (I own them even though I'll likely never have a child because I love to look at all the names, weird, I know) and I came across "Anika" according to this book it was African meaning "beauty beyond reproach" and I felt it described the music I was playing at the time (a lot of ethereal gothic music and Cocteau Twins).

Maybe at some point I'll feel motivated to work on the pictures again. My niece Kimmie was with us and I was going to have a picture taken of my mom, myself, and Kimmie all together, but I forgot. Oh well, maybe next time. I enjoyed having her with us.

1 comment: