Saturday, August 8, 2009

Living without plastic

My Aunt Sue and I are going to try going plastic free for a week inspired by ReadyMade. I think this is mostly doable, but have realized that this will be impossible for me at the moment, but I'll get to that later. I am not worried about things like computers and tvs and refrigerators and other appliances that are a part of our everyday life. I think about all the things I am going to cover here.

Water

So this is a couple of examples of how I keep my water:
water bottle
plastic 3
Yes, it is all plastic. The way to go plastic free with water is to drink from the tap and in the city of Milwaukee, the tap water tastes just fine and if I lived there I would drink it. I live in Cedarburg and the tap water tastes horrible. If I didn't rent, I could get a water filtration system. There are some that can be added onto the faucet, but I can't use them on my faucets. What I do is get the refillable gallons of water at the grocery store. You fill the same water gallon jugs every week at the water dispenser. Most grocery stores have these. I then fill my two gallon water holder in my fridge with the spicket dispenser. My water bottle I'm sure is BPA free one, but for this week I will drink out of my ceramic mugs. My method of getting water, though it involves plastic, is not changing for the week.

Food packaging

I had to think about the food I am going to eat. So much food comes in plastic. The bread I eat, the mayo in the fridge, just everything!!!!
plastic 5
plastic 6
plastic 4
plastic 2
You can see honey and spices too. I do have some spices in glass containers. The place to buy those is in downtown Milwaukee, I'm not there much. As I finish using my spices in the plastic containers, I will convert to the glass container ones. I don't know what to do about milk. They used to be available in cardboard containers, but I don't think so anymore. There is an expensive brand that comes in glass and I think that is hormone free. I will consider it for future milk purchaces. I am not wasting the milk currently in my fridge because it is in plastic. I think you can find honey in glass jars. For bread, I need to explore making my own, but for now I will take the bread I have and transfer it to a brown paper lunch bag. Oh what else? There is sooo much. *sigh* I'm still using my honey that is in plastic. When I need to buy more, then I'll get glass.

Now for the produce. Mostly you can avoid buying things in the plastic bags. Buy it where you can pick and choose how many and what you want. Don't put them in the little plastic bags. There are solutions at Craftster and Etsy. Buy the produce loose. After it is rung up at the register, then put them in your own reusable produce bags.

Food Storage, transportation, untensils:

Here are some of my food containers:
plastic 1
plastic 7
About 99% plastic. This week's solution is to have sandwiches and wrap in parchment paper and carry lunch bags. Currently I am in a personal swap with someone to get reusable lunch bags, but I won't have them this week. Those lunch bags can be thrown in my compost if I can't reuse them. I have heard there are glass containers available now, but I haven't seen them, but I haven't been to places where I can find them. There are also tiffin containers (though the metal ones cannot be microwaved and others are supposed to be microwavable plastic, but I still wonder how safe it is. For my flour and sugar etc I can get ceramic containers like at Crate and Barrel.

Bath and Laundry

I recently made my own laundry detergent using this recipe (scroll down) and it works. There are many other cleaning recipes on this site. For shampooing you can use a shampoo shower bar (I have one, not used it yet because I was using up what I have, but for my week I will try it out). Instead of using body wash and plastic scrubber I use this:
eco scrubber
It is a crochet bag with soap inside. I haven't checked, but you might be able to find the crochet bag on Etsy (search for soap saver). I made this one myself. If you are in my family, this may be in your future. Brushing teeth, hmmm.... I am still using my plastic toothbrush with toothpaste still in plastic (yes, you can brush teeth with baking soda, but ick).

I really need to go now. There may be a part two of this and may blog during the week how it is going. There is more I want to blog about and I'll do that tomorrow. Tonight I'll be on WMSE from 6-9pm central time. Tune in if you read this in time. This is why I need to get going, need to do my hair and find a decent shirt to wear. Please please please leave comments and questions, I am sure I have only scratched the surface.

1 comment:

  1. I never even thought about those stupid plastic bags for produce. I should make mini singlet style (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177482.0) shopping bags for produce. When you mentioned this on Facebook, I looked around at just the things on my craft table that are plastic: from the mouse, to iPhone cover and sewing machine cover, to the sewing machine itself, my lamp, TV remote, pens! It seems like everything is plastic. At least I try to recycle. I'm not sure I'd be able to get all the plastic out of my house, but I should start trying.

    ReplyDelete