Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day one of reducing plastic

So there are things I can do for this week and things I am not yet able to do. It is no longer a week without plastic, but a week of reducing plastic. I'm afraid so far I like my bread in plastic. I would like to know what the other alternatives are to storing bread and how did people store bread before plastic? So far my food transportation is best in plastic, mostly because I won't have money until Friday to buy a more earth friendly alternative. I do want to stop using my glad containers though. I no longer microwave in my plastic containers. I can bring a ceramic plate to work to eat on for this week, but eventually I would like my permanent container to be something safe to transport, microwave, and eat in.

Changes I made:
Drinking out of a ceramic cup
Eating on real plates
Using real silverware
Using my soap saver to scrub and clean my body with
Using my shampoo soap bar
I changed to using only bar soap in general some time ago, I no longer buy liquid soap.

Last night I tried the shampoo soap bar for the first time. It seemed to lather up fine. My hair felt different afterwords than it does with my shampoo. Now that my hair is dry, I think my hair looks soooo much better. Too bad no one will really tell because it is too hot and I need to put my hair back in a pony tail. I definitely recommend it. After this week I still want to use up what I have left of my shampoo, conditioner, and body wash in plastic, why let them go to waste. Once those are used up then I am done with that. That makes me really happy. Last night I made a tomato tart, plastic free (oops, come to think of it though the cheese was in plastic, but what can I do?). Very yummy. Now how does one find cheese plastic free? Possibly at the Whole Foods cheese counter I could probably get my cheese without plastic. Whole Foods also has bulk bins for things like rice, flour, beans, etc and they have brown paper bags to put them in. Now I just realized the pie crust for the tart also was in plastic. I can make my own crust in the future though, I have done it before.

Some more links (found in the comment section of the Readymade article):
Bank/Earth/Self
Fake Plastic Fish

The Readymade Blog of one week without plastic:
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 5

Ok, so I couldn't immediately find the link for day one, but now Readymade is doing an experiment of a week without processed food, another noble goal I would like to do, though I think winter would be a challenge. Anyways, All the posts for a week without processed foods (first) and a week without plastic (further down the page) are all on one page, so maybe just go here:

Readymade, a week without feature

Now I should say, that even though I am not doing as much this week because of money, lack of solutions right now, etc, I eventually plan on doing more. Like I have said before, it will be a process of attrition. When I need to replace plastic items, I will look for non plastic solutions.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!!! we hate cfc's too!!! come join our blog, we're new and we too have very little social life.

    ReplyDelete