Thursday, April 23, 2009

Earth Day more thought about

So I have been reading through this: http://blog.wholefoodsmarket.com/2009/04/make-a-simple-green-resolution-and-win/#comment-17675

So I want to look up to see if there a way to do a DIY rain barrel and DIY compost bin. I am not currently composting my kitchen waste that can be composted, but it would do me so much good as my garden soil still needs improvement. Better than buying compost (which I will still need to do for this year). I want to learn how to make my own cleaners as well. There is just so much. Other goals:

Eat no processed foods (shudder, this one is going to be hard)
Find out how to recycle prescription bottles.
Reduce electric use.
Locally, ride my bike or walk where I need to go whenever possible.

This is really just a start. *sigh* It seems a little overwhelming. I have also been watching the cable channel "Planet Green" and they have a lot of information on there. One way to save on electricity is to turn off the TV more often. The channels repeat a lot of shows over and over again and I have been putting shows I have seen on mute and listening to music. I need to turn off the TV.

Anyone with any ideas or links that I might find helpful, please post a comment and let me know. Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I can live without processed foods. :( It's so bad, but some taste so much better than the real thing, like I'm addicted to Log Cabin syrup but can't stand the original stuff from Vermont. Blech.

    I tried that bike riding thing the other weekend and I hadn't riden my bike since last year and had to walk up a hill and my legs were BURNING. >.< D'oh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the processed foods will be the hardest, if for no other reason, laziness. Just so easy to pop something in the microwave or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this tutorial on earth day but there are many simple variations of this. This tute is just so well done. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=50901.0 (sorry, I am clueless as to how to make the link clickable)

    I can help you get started with bread if you want. I have the starter, as you know and would totally share it with you. It really isn't too time consuming as most of the time is spent waiting for it to rise. That would cut the preservatives out of your bread.

    As for prescriptions; I found this very informative blog. http://suddenlyfrugal.wordpress.com/2008/10/22/qa-recycling-prescription-bottles/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been a while since I read the bread information, but I have been thinking about reading it again. Crossed my mind. I just don't know if I have the patience. If you lived closer, you could have your own bakery business with me as your number one customer. Oh well.

    I know how to do the links when making a blog post, but not in the comment. I'm sure some simple HTML which has been a long time since I looked at. When I figure it out again, I'll share, though copy/paste is probably easier.

    Anyways, I'll check the links later. I have dinner with a friend and want to get out for a walk for what is left of the day.*sigh*

    ReplyDelete